close




WTO英語900句(3)



















補習-WTO英語900句(3)

http://tutor.howang.hk/-香港補習城


補習介紹WTO英語900句(3)

















  

What about W.P.A.?


  水漬險呢?


  W.P.A. has a broader coverage. It covers everything in F.P.A. plus partial loss caused by natural calamities.


  水漬險范圍廣一些,除了平安險的范圍外,還包括自然災害引起的部分損失。


  And All Risks?


  那么一切險呢?


  All Risks means WPA plus additional risks, or extraneous risks, risks not incidental to transport by sea.


  一切險就是水漬險加上附加險,附加險即不是由于海上運輸本身的特性所帶來的風險。


  incidental :作表語


  ~ (to sth) liable to occur because of sth or in connection with sth 易伴隨發生; 因相關而產生:


  * the risks that are incidental to exploration 探險時容易遇到的危險


  * additional responsibilities that are incidental to the job 做這項工作要承擔的額外責任


  I see. Now, for this particular article, what risks do you usually cover?


  我明白了。那么我們這批貨,你們通常投保什么險呢?


  I have to say that I know every little about this clause. Can you explain it a little?。


  我得說我對這個條款了解很少。你能不能解釋一下?


  clause: paragraph or section in a legal document (eg a will, contract or treaty) stating a particular obligation, condition, etc (在法律文件如遺囑、 合同或條約中, 陳述具體義務、 條件等的)段落或章節; 條款:


  * There is a clause in the contract forbidding tenants to sublet. 合同中列有條款, 禁止承租人轉租。


  OK.OMCC provides coverage of three basic, some additional risks and some special additional risks.


  好的。《海洋運輸貨物保險條款》承保三種基本險、一些附加險和一些特殊附加險。


  The three basic risks are Free from Particular Average (F.P.A.), With Particular Averaged (W.P.A.) and All Risks (A.R.)。


  這三種基本險是平安險、水漬險和一切險。


  What do they mean respectively?


  它們分別是什么意思?


  Well, roughly speaking, F.P.A. covers total loss resulting from both natural calamities and accidents, and partial loss caused by accidents.


  大體上說,平安險包括自然災害和意外事故造成的全部損失和意外事故造成的部分損失。


  calamity / kэl'жmэti; kэ`lжmэti/ n serious misfortune or disaster 災禍; 災難:


  * The earthquake was the worst calamity in the country's history. 那次地震是全國有史以來最嚴重的災難。


  * (joc 謔) There are worse calamities than failing your driving test.


  比起你駕駛考試不合格來說, 更大的災難還多著呢。


  calamitous / kэ'lжmitэs; kэ`lжmэtэs/ adj ~ (to sb/sth) involving or causing a calamity; disastrous 受災的; 造成災害的; 災難的。


  I'm afraid Im not in a position to give you an answer. I'll have to consult our head office.


  恐怕我無權給您答復,我得和我們總公司聯系一下。


  Well, my head office says the best we can do is to accept 60 days L/C.


  總公司說我們最多只能接受60天信用證。


  60 days? Thats all right.


  60天?好吧。


  But we wish to point out that it is only with a view to encouraging future deals with you that we are accommodating you this time.


  但是我們想指出的是,我們只是為了鼓勵將來的交易才給你這個通融的。


  We always insure our goods with the People's Insurance Company of China as per their Ocean Marine Cargo Clause, Jan.1, 1981 revision.


  我們總是按照中國人民保險公司1981年1月1日的《海洋運輸貨物保險條款》向他們投保。


  I understand your position. But at the moment, I do have some difficulty.


  我理解您。但目前我確實有困難。


  I would like to bend the rules a little if possible.


  如果可能的話,我是愿意通融一下的。


  bend the `rules: (idm) change or interpret the rules, laws, etc in a way that suits oneself or the circumstances


  (根據情況)放寬規定; 變通; 通融。


  We'd be willing to give you a 10% down payment.


  我們愿意先付10%的定金。


  And the balance by 90 days L/C?


  余額用90天信用證支付嗎?


  the balance : [sing] remainder of sth after part has already been used, taken, etc 剩余:


  * The balance of your order will be supplied when we receive fresh stock.


  貴方所訂購貨物之其余部分, 一俟我方進貨即可供應。


  * When will you take the balance of your annual leave? 你打算什么時候使用剩余的年假?


  yes


  是的。


  Don't worry. Were only asking for cash this time.


  別擔心。我們只是這次要現金。


  Well, I think I have no other choice.


  那么,我只好答應了。


  Then that's settled.


  好,就這么定了。


  Yes. I have to admit that you are very astute.


  只好這樣啦。我不得不承認您很精明。


  astute : / э'stju:t; US эstu:t; э`stut/ adj clever and quick at seeing how to gain an advantage; shrewd


  精明的; 機敏的; 狡詐的:


  * an astute lawyer, businessman, judge of character, etc 干練的律師、 精明的商人、 知人之明


  * It was an astute move to sell just before prices went down. 正好在價格下跌前脫手, 真是精明之舉。


> astutely adv. astuteness n [U].


  As this is the first deal between us, I hope we can trade on customary terms, i.e.,letter of credit payable against sight draft.


  由于這是我們之間進行的第一筆交易,我很希望能夠遵照慣例,也就是說,用即期信用證付款。


  You don't mean to say you want cash, do you?


  您不是在說您想要現金吧?


  Actually, that's just what I wanted to say.


  實際上,這正是我想要說的。


  Don't you think a letter of credit is just as good as cash? And you can discount it at any time, if you like.


  您不認為信用證跟現金差不多嗎? 而且如果您愿意,什么時候都是可以貼現的。


  The problem, you see, is that we are now at the turn of the century. We're worried about the millennium bug. To be on the safe side, I think cash is the only thing we can accept.


  您知道,問題是我們正處在世紀之交,千年蟲讓我們擔憂。所以為保險起見,我們只接受現金。


  Will you still ask for cash in the future, I mean, after we enter the new century?


  將來,我是說進入新世紀以后,你們仍然要現金嗎?


  I'm sorry. I have to think it over. As you are probably aware, the international money market is not so stable nowadays.


  很抱歉,我得好好考慮考慮。您可能有所警覺,當前國際貨幣市場不太穩定。


  Don't you trust me? I believe that our pleasant cooperation over the years has proved us trustworthy partners.


  您難道不相信我嗎?我相信過去幾年的愉快合作已經證明,我們都是值得信賴的業務伙伴。


  Yes, I know it. But I'm not worrying about your reliability


  這我知道,但我擔心的不是你的信譽


  reliability : state or quality of being reliable 可靠(性); 可信(性)


  Let's consider another way, say, letter of credit. Do you think thats acceptable?


  那么我們來考慮另一種方式,比如說信用證,您認為可以接受嗎?


  A letter of credit should have been all right. But as you know, interest rates are changing from minute to minute. And we can not be assured that


  信用證本來是可以的。但您知道,利率時刻都在變化,不能保證我們


  Then when is the earliest shipment we can expect?


  那么最早什么時候可以裝運呢?


  By the middle of October, I think.


  我想要到十月中旬。


  It's too late. You see, November is the season for this commodity in our market, and our Customs formalities are rather complicated.


  那太遲了。你知道,在我們那兒十一月是這個商品上市季節,另外我們的海關手續相當復雜。


  I understand.


  我明白。


  In terms of payment, would you like to accept D/P?


  付款方式方面,您愿意接受付款交單嗎?


  As I just said, it's a long-distance transportation. I really dont want to take any chances.


  我剛才說過,貨物要經過長途運輸,我實在不想任何冒險。


  You need have no fears about that.


  你不用擔心。


  Well, I suppose there is no other choice.


  好吧,看來只能這樣了。


  Now that we've settled the terms of payment, is it possible to effect shipment during September?


  我們已經談妥了付款條件。是否能在九月份裝運?


  now conj ~ (that) because of the fact (that) 由于; 既然:


  * Now (that) you mention it, I do remember the incident. 經你一提, 我想起那件事了。


  * Now you've passed your test you can drive on your own. 你駕駛考試既已合格, 就可以獨自開車了。


  I don't think we can.


  我看不行。


  But we're only talking about shirts. Theyre not fragile goods. Besides, cartons are light and easy to handle.


  但我們講的是襯衣。襯衣不是易碎物品。而且紙箱輕便,容易搬運。


  fragile: / 'frжd3ail; US -d3l; `frжd3эl/


  Well, I just mean they're easily breakable.


  我是說紙箱容易破裂。


  There's no need to worry. We can reinforce the cartons with straps.


  這個不用擔心。我們可以用條帶加固。


  reinforce : make (sth) stronger by adding material, etc (以添加材料等)加固(某物):


  * reinforce the sleeves of a jumper, eg with elbow patches 在套頭毛衣肘部加補釘


  * reinforce a wall, bridge, dyke, etc 把墻、 橋、 堤壩等加固。


  Look, these goods will have to go a long way before they arrive at our port. What if dampness gets into the package?


  但這些貨物必須經過長途運輸才能抵達我港。包裝受潮怎么辦?


  damp :adj (-er, -est) not completely dry; slightly wet 不完全乾燥的; 潮濕的:


  * damp clothes 潮濕的衣服 * a damp surface 潮濕的表面


  * Don't sleep between damp sheets. 睡覺時不要用潮濕的被褥。


  All the cartons are lined with plastic sheets, so they're absolutely water-proof, I can assure you.


  所有紙箱都內襯塑料袋,我可以保證絕對防水。


  Most of them do. But the background color should be a little lighter.


  大多數人是的。但底色好象應該再淡一些。


  No problem. What do you think of our logo?


  好。你覺得我們的標識怎么樣?


  logo / 'lэugэu; `lo.go/ n (pl ~s) printed symbol designed for and used by a business, company, etc as its emblem, eg in advertising (企業、公司等的)專用標識, 標記, 商標(如用于廣告中的)。


  Very good. Maybe you should move it a little closer to the middle.


  很好。再往中間靠一靠更好一些。


  Alright. Do you have anything to say about the outer packaging?


  好。外包裝如何?


  You mentioned cartons, didn't you? Im afraid cartons are not strong enough.


  你說的是紙箱吧?恐怕紙箱不夠牢固。


  Please don't worry. All the bags are beautifully designed to come in line with the local market preference at your end.


  沒問題。所有袋子都設計得很精美,符合你們當地市場的口味。


  in line with sth: similar to sth; in accordance with sth 與某事物類似或一致:


  * in line with the others/with the latest research 與其他的一致[根據最新的研究成果




Have you got any samples here? I'd prefer to have a look. 這兒有沒有樣品? Here you are. 請看。 It does look good. Especially the little swan. 確實漂亮。尤其是這個小天鵝。 Thank you. We understand that your people regard swa

















  


  Have you got any samples here? I'd prefer to have a look.


  這兒有沒有樣品?


  Here you are.


  請看。


  It does look good. Especially the little swan.


  確實漂亮。尤其是這個小天鵝。


  Thank you. We understand that your people regard swans as a symbol of good luck.


  多謝。我們聽說你們那兒的人把天鵝當成幸運物。 Waterloo bridge : lucky charm


  Thank you. Let's call it a deal.


  謝謝。那么成交了。


  Excellent.


  太好了。


  Can we discuss the packing today?


  我們今天談一談包裝好嗎?


  Sure. We usually pack our skirts individually in polythene bags, ten dozen to one carton.


  好的。我們的襯衣通常每件單獨裝一塑料袋,10打裝一紙箱。


  polythene / 'p) liθi:n; `palэθin/ n [U] type of plastic widely used in the form of flexible, often transparent, sheets for waterproof packaging, insulation, etc 聚乙烯:


  [attrib 作定語] a polythene bag, cover 聚乙烯塑料袋、 套。


  Acceptable. But please pay attention to the design of the inner packing. All the packages must be ready for window display.


  好。但請注意內包裝的設計,所有的包裝都必須適于櫥窗展示。


  Oh, I'm afraid the price you give is too low. The best I can do is 2%.


  哇,恐怕你給的價格太低了。我頂多降價2%.


  You say 2% and I say 4%. How about splitting the difference and meeting each other half way? Let's settle at 3%.


  你說2%,我說4%,我們來折中一下,雙方各讓一半怎樣?就降3%吧。


  split the `difference : (when making a bargain) settle on an amount half-way between two proposed amounts (idm )(講價時)各讓一步, 折中。


  No. I'm afraid its still not acceptable.


  不行,恐怕我還是不能接受。


  What do you say to 2.5%, then?


  2.5%怎么樣?


  HmmI appreciate your efforts and sincerity in this transaction. As a token of our cooperation, we accept your bid.


  噢我非常感謝您在這筆生意中所做的努力和誠意。為表示我們愿意合作,我們接受您的遞價。


  token / 'tэukэn; `tokэn/ n


  1 sign, symbol or evidence of sth 表徵; 標志; 證據:


  * A white flag is used as a token of surrender. 白旗是用作投降的信號。


  * These flowers are a small token of my gratitude. 謹以此花聊表謝忱。


  2 disc like a coin used to operate certain machines or as a form of payment (用以啟動某些機器或用作付款形式的)代幣, 專用輔幣: Tokens for the cigarette machine are available at the bar. 在柜臺可以買到供自動售煙機使用的代幣。


  * milk tokens, ie (in Britain) bought from the milkman and left on the doorstep to pay for the milk delivered 牛奶票(送奶人出售的票證, 購者用以付送奶費, 可置于門外)。


  3 (esp in compounds 尤用以構成復合詞) voucher or coupon, usu attached to a greetings card, which can be exchanged for goods of the value shown 贈券; 禮券:


  * a 10 `book/`record/`gift token 金額10英鎊的書券[唱片券/禮券].


  in token of sth as evidence of sth 作為某事的證據:


  * Please accept this gift in token of our affection for you. 請接受這一禮物, 這是我們微薄的情意。


  I'm sorry to say we cant close business at that price. Aren't we old friends?


  我很抱歉,以這樣的價格我們無法成交。我們都是老朋友了吧!


  Well, in view of our good cooperation over the past years, we can take some considerations, but only for this order.


  好吧,鑒于我們過去多年的友好合作,我們可以做些考慮,但盡限這批訂貨。


  Then how much can you go down?


  那么你能減多少?


  1% off the original price.


  原價的1%.


  1%! Your reduction is too modest. What about 4%?


  1%! 你的降價幅度太小了。4%怎么樣?


  Other companies are also saying that their products are the best.


  別的公司也都說他們的產品是最好的。


  Let's meet each other half way. Ill cut another 5%. That's definitely my rock bottom price.


  我們來折中一下吧。我再降5%.這絕對是最低價格了。


  rock-`bottom n [sing] (used without a/the 不用a/the) lowest point 最低點:


  * Prices have reached rock-bottom. 物價已下降到最低點。


  * [attrib 作定語] ,rock-bottom (ie bargain) `prices 最低的價格。


  All right. That's settled.


  好吧。就這么定了。


  Unfortunately your price appears to be higher than ever.


  很遺憾,您的價格比以往都高。


  Yes, we know. Because of the price hike in raw materials, we were forced to adjust our prices accordingly.


  是的,我們知道。但由于原材料漲價,我們不得不相應調整產品的價格。


  hike : (infml 口) rise in prices, costs, etc (價格、 價值等的)提高, 增加:


  * The union demands a 7% wage hike. 工會要求提高工資7%.


  Then what's your idea of a good price?


  那你覺得什么價格合適?


  I would say 20% off the listed price.


  標價減20%.


  Impossible. We won't make any profit at that price. 10% is the best we can do.


  那不可能。這樣我們就無錢可賺了。最多降10%.


  It's still too high.


  還是太高。


  Our quality is far beyond comparison. Besides, the market is advancing. Our goods can always find a good sale.


  我們的質量是無與倫比的。而且行情上漲,我們的貨物銷路一直很好。


  We are surprised to find that your price is 25% higher compared with other companies.


  發現你們的價格比其他公司的高25%,我們很吃驚。


  25%? You can't be serious!


  25%? 你不是開玩笑吧!


  That has been confirmed by our survey. I'm afraid Ill have to cancel the deal unless you reduce your price.


  我們調查證實過了。恐怕我將不得不取消這筆生意,除非您降價。


  But you know fully well that our product is of superior quality. Other products can't be compared with it.


  但您很了解我們的產品質量上乘,其他產品無法與之相比。


  True. But it's also a fact that your price is too high.


  是的。但您的價格太高了,這也是一個事實。


  But even for such products we have minimum quality requirements that must be met.


  即使是這些產品,我們也規定了必須達到的最低質量要求。


  Indeed, they are not bad, indeed. Do you do them in any other colours?


  確實不錯。還有其他顏色嗎?


  Yes, there is dark blue, light grey, desert tan, all available in a full range of sizes.


  有的,還有深藍、淺灰、土黃 這些顏色尺碼都齊全。


  range [C] group or series of similar things; selection or variety 成套或成系列的東西; 種類:


  * sell/stock a whole range of tools, dresses, foods 出售[備有]各種各樣的工具、 服裝、 食品


  * The new model comes in an exciting range of colours. 這種新式樣有各種鮮艷的顏色。


  * have a wide/narrow range of interests, hobbies, etc 興趣、 愛好等甚廣[不廣].


  The color won't fade, will it?


  不會褪色吧?


  No, it'll last very well.


  不,不會褪色。


  If you can produce fashionable styles of such fine quality, your shoes will win great popularity in our market.


  如果那么你們能生產品質這么優良款式有新穎的鞋子,它們在我們市場上將會大受歡迎。


  popularity / .p)pju'lжrэti; .papjэ`lжrэti/ n


  [U] quality or state of being liked or admired by many people 受大家喜愛或贊賞的性質或狀態; 普及; 流行; 通俗性; 聲望:


  * win/gain/enjoy/command the popularity of the voters 獲得廣大選民的擁戴


  * His popularity among working people remains as strong as ever.


  他在勞動人民中一如既往聲望很高。


  * Her books have grown in popularity recently. 她的書近來大受歡迎。


  Quality is something we never neglect. Good quality ensures continued sales.


  我們一直十分重視質量。商品質量好,才能不斷有銷路。


  Indeed. I see you've got some nice walking shoes too.


  確實是。我看你們還有些便鞋也挺不錯。


  They're remarkably comfortable. By the way, Mr. Smith, isnt there room in your market for lower grade shoes?


  這種鞋穿著非常舒服。順便問一下,史密斯先生,比較低檔的鞋在你們那里有銷路嗎?


  room


  ~ (for sth) opportunity; scope 機會; 范圍:


  * There's (plenty of) room for improvement in your work, ie It is not as good as it could be. 你的工作還有(許多)改進的余地。


  * There's no room for doubt,ie It is quite certain. 沒有懷疑的余地。


  Even highly demanding markets require a wide range of quality and price levels for any group of products.


  即使要求很高的市場對不同種類的商品,也需要有各種檔次的貨色和價格。


  And durable as well.


  而且也耐穿。


  durable / 'djuэrэbl; US duэrэbl; `durэbl/ adj


  lasting for a long time 持久的; 耐久的: a durable peace, friendship, settlement 持久的和平、 永恒的友誼、 永久的解決


  * trousers made of durable material 耐穿的料子制成的褲子


  * This varnish provides a durable finish. 這種清漆可作耐久的罩面漆。


> durability / .djuэrэbilэti; US .durэbilэti; .durэ`bilэti/ n [U].


  durables n [pl] (also con,sumer `durables)


  goods expected to last for a long time after they have been bought, eg vacuum cleaners


  耐用品(如吸塵器)。


  Oh, durability is not too important nowadays, especially for women's shoes, its a style conscious market.


  噢,耐穿在當今時代已經不大重要了,尤其是女鞋,講究式樣翻新。


  Yes, we've noticed that.


  是的,我們已經注意到了。


  Some of your shoes are satisfactory to your domestic market, but they would need to be adapted for the export market or they wouldn't be acceptable.


  你們的一些鞋,對你們國內市場來說是不錯的,但是作為外銷,就要有些改動,要不然,國外不會接受的。


  adapt


  ~ sth (for sth) make sth suitable for a new use, situation, etc; modify sth 使某事物適合于新的用途、 情況等; 修改某事物:


  * This machine has been specially adapted for use underwater. 這機器是為水下使用而特別改裝的。 * These styles can be adapted to suit individual tastes. 這些式樣均可改動以適應個人不同的愛好。


  We can produce shoes modeled after the fashions of different markets or according to buyers' samples.


  我們能按不同市場的流行款式或客戶來樣,制作不同款式的鞋子。


  Your L/C must be opened at least one month before the time of shipment, otherwise we wouldn't be able to catch the ship.


  你方信用證必須在裝貨前一個月開出,否則我們將趕不上船。


  No problem. I'll have the covering L/C opened as soon as I get back.


  沒問題。我一回去,就馬上安排開立有關信用證。


  Fine. I'm very glad our negotiations have arrived at a successful conclusion.


  好,我很高興我們的談判取得了成功。


  Me too. I hope this initial deal will result in further transactions between us.


  我也是。我希望這首筆生意會帶來更多的交易。


  result in sth have a specified effect or consequence 產生某種作用或結果:


  * Our efforts resulted in success/failure. 我們的努力終于成功[失敗]了。


  * The talks resulted in reducing the number of missiles/missile reduction.


  談判結果削減了導彈數量。



上門補習,Tutor




arrow
arrow
    全站熱搜
    創作者介紹
    創作者 hktutorcity2 的頭像
    hktutorcity2

    576953369

    hktutorcity2 發表在 痞客邦 留言(0) 人氣()