Potluck Party :一種聚餐方式,主人準備場地和餐具,參加的人必須帶一道菜或準備飲料,最好事先問問主人的意思。
Pull over!把車子開到旁邊。
Drop me a line!寫封信給我。
Give me a ring. = Call me!來個電話吧!
For here or to go?堂食或外賣。
cool; That's cool! 等於臺灣年輕人常用的囗語酷!,表示不賴嘛!用于人或事均可。
What's up? = What's happening? = What's new?
見面時隨囗問候的話最近在忙什么?有什么新鮮事嗎?一般的回答是Nothing much!或Nothing new!
Cut it out! = Knock it out!= Stop it! 少來這一套!同學之間開玩笑的話。
Don't give me a hard time! 別跟我過不去好不好!
Get yourself together! 振作點行不行!
Do you have the time? 現在幾點鐘?可別誤以為人家要約你出去。
Hang in there. = Don't give up. = Keep trying. 再撐一下。
Give me a break ! 你饒了我吧!(開玩笑的話)
Hang on. 請稍候。
Blow it. = Screw up. 搞砸了。
What a big hassle. 真是個麻煩事。
What a crummy day. 多倒霉的一天。
Go for it. 加油
You bet. = Of course. 當然;看我的!
Wishful thinking. 一廂情愿的想法。
Don't be so fussy! 別那么挑剔好不好。
It's a long story. 唉!說來話長。
How have you been? = How are you doing? 你過得如何?近來可好?
Take things for granted. 自以為理所當然。
Don't put on airs. 別擺架子。
Give me a lift! = Give me a ride! 送我一程吧!
Have a crush on someone. 迷戀某人。
What's the catch? 有什么內幕?
Party animal. 開Party狂的人(喜歡參加舞會的人)。
Pain in the neck. =Pain in the ass. 討厭的東西、人或事。
Skeleton in the closet. 家丑
Don't get on my nerve! 別把我惹毛了!
Afat chance. =A poor chance. 機會很小。
I am racking my brains. 我正在絞盡腦。
She's a real drag. 她真有點礙手礙腳。
Spacingout.=daydreaming. 做白日夢。
I am so fed up. 我受夠了!
It doesn't go with your dress. 跟你的衣服不配。
What's the point? = What are you trying to say? 你的重點是什么?
By all means.=Definitely. 一定是。
Let's get a bite. = Let's go eat. 去吃點東西吧!
I'll buy you a lunch (a drink; a dinner). = It's on me. = My treat. 我請客
Let's go dutch. 各付各的
My stomach is upset. 我的胃不舒服
diarrhea [dai r'i ] 拉肚子
吃牛排時,waitor 會問How would you like it ? 就是問要幾分熟?的意思,可以選擇 rare,medium 或 well-done。
I am under the weather. =I am not feeling well. 我不太舒服!
May I take a rain check? 可不可改到下次?(例如有人請你吃飯,你不能赴約,只好請他改到下一次。)
I am not myself today. 我今天什么都不對勁!
Let's get it straight. 咱們把事情弄清楚!
What's the rush! 急什么!
Such a fruitcake! 神經病!
I'll swing by later. =I'll stop by later. 待會兒,我會來轉一下。
I got the tip straight from the horse's mouth. 這個消息是千真萬確的(tip指消息)!
easy as pie = very easy = piece of cake 很容易。
flunk out 被當掉。
take french leave 不告而別。
I don't get the picture. =I don't understand. 我不明白。
You should give him a piece of your mind. 你應該向他表達你的不滿。
hit the road = take off = get on one's way 離開。
Now he is in the driver's seat =He is in control now.
Keep a low profile (or low key). 采取低姿態。
Kinky =bizarre =wacky =weird 古怪的。
klutz (=clutz) =idiot 白癡、笨蛋。
know one's way around 識途老馬。
lion's share 大部份。
tailgate 尾隨(尤其跟車跟得太近)。
take a back seat. 讓步。
take a hike =leave me alone =get lost 滾開。
hit the hay =go to bed 睡覺。
Can you give me a lift? =Can you give me a ride? 載我一程好嗎?
green hand 生手、沒有經驗的人。
moonshine = mountain dew 指私釀的烈酒(威士忌)或走私的酒。胡說八道也可用moonshine。His story is plain moonshine.
chill out =calm down =relax(來自黑人英語)
rip off =steal;I was ripped off. 我被偷了;rip off 也常被用為剝奪My right was ripped off. 權利被剝奪(來自黑人英語)。
我們稱美國大兵為G.I. (Government Issue) or GI Joe, 德國兵或德國佬為 Fritzor Kraut,稱英國佬為John Bull,日本人為Jap.或Nip,猶太人為Jew都是 很不禮貌的稱呼。
mess around (with)瞎混;Get to work. Don't mess around. 趕快工作,別瞎攪和。
snob 勢利眼。
sneak in,sneak out 偷偷溜進去,溜出來。sneakers 運動鞋。
She is such a brown-noser. 她是個馬屁精。
This is in way over my head. 對我而言這實在太難了。
I am an exam jitter and I always get a cramp in my stomach. 我是個考試緊張大師,一考試胃就抽筋。
Keep your study (work) on track. 請按進度讀書(工作)。
Did you come up with any ideas? 有沒有想到什麼新的意見?
Don't get uptight !Take it easy. 別緊張,慢慢來!
Cheese ! It tastes like cardboard. Cheese吃起來味如嚼臘!
Get one's feet wet. 與中文里的涉足或下海,寓意相同,表示初嘗某事。I am going to try dancing for the very first time. Just to get my feet wet.
留言列表